Monday, May 21, 2012

May IHSW & TUSAL and other updates

I'm such a slacker!  It has been over 2 weeks since my last post!   I've been busy with work and having to travel, as well as family stuff going on.   I have so much to update on, but I'll really try to keep it short and simple  :)

Here is my May Hermitting update:

I worked on two new pieces over the weekend, one was Moonlight Immersion.  This is my first attempt with 28 count, using tent stitches.  I've been wanting to try all the different ways people work their HAEDs, so here's on of them!

Here is the before the weekend pic:


And my after shot:



I also started working on QS Blue Butterly by HAED this weekend.  A good friend of mine chose this chart as her first HAED and I thought it would be fun to stitch together, to keep her motivated and help her through getting adjusted to HAEDs

My progress from the weekend:



I also did some gridding for other new starts, but I didn't take any pictures of those...kinda boring! :)

In other news.......

My QS Motherhood by HAED came back from the framers....I LOVE LOVE LOVE how it turned out!


The piece itself has some light hues of purple floss used in it...so the purple matting really brings that out.

The outer matting is a linen fabric, which I thought looked great with the stitching.  Here's a close up, you can sort of see it:




I sat down and updated my rotation/task list (located on my right sidebar).  The list is long, and I'll probably change it as I go...but my mind needed to lay out all my current goals.  I'll be working on two pieces just a few hours per week (SK Blue Moon and QS Blue Butterfly) as those are stitch alongs and then I'll be working my other pieces a page at a time. 

Eventually I'll need to add in the SAL from Papillon....Around the World in 80 Stitches, but I'm still waiting on my fabric to get here <sigh>.
I've also listed a "secret stitch" in there....this is something I am stitching as a gift and the recipient sometimes checks my blog...so just to be safe I won't post pictures until it is finished and given.

I was also asked to do a review of one of Yiota's Cross Stitch charts....and it just arrived...so I'll be woking on that this week!

Finally....I just wanted to share how proud I am of my son Sebastian.  Over the past few weeks he tested for his Blue Belt in Karate (Tang Soo Do).  This was a big deal for him, because this is the belt where he had to test and pass on EVERYTHING he's ever learned since he started.  It is also the belt just before Junior Blackbelt. 

HE PASSED! :)  He worked so hard to remember everything and do everything correctly, over the past 3 months....for a 10 year old, that can be asking a lot!  I'm a proud momma!



(edited to add my TUSAL)
After typing this up and posting it, I realized it was also TUSAL time!  <another sigh>  I'm so behind!

I took a quick snapshot of my monthly TUSAL jar and the big vase I'm using to gather everything for the year.  Pardon the Tony Hawk skate toys...my son took over my dining room table!






Whew! Sorry for the long post!   Have a great week!


-lesli

16 comments:

Lesleyanne said...

Both of your new starts look gorgeous. Can't wait to see more. Your QS Motherhood looks stunningly framed. Congrats to your son on passing his blue belt.

Katie said...

I think you do long posts to challenge us who comment on them haha. So let's see...

First your HAEDs are WONDERFUL! So how do you like tent stitching? I saw another piece up close like that and I know I wouldn't prefer it that way but it never hurts to try it. Good Luck to your friend that is trying her first HAED.

The framed motherhood is perfect. Love the choice in frames and matting.

Please tell your son some strange woman on the internet says Congrats!! What an achievement.

Your TUSAL is very pretty. Looks like a lot of purple which is my favorite color. Tony appreciates the threads too I'm sure haha.

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

First of all, lots of congratulations to your son on his achievement,no wonder you are a proud Mom :)

Motherhood is beautiful, and beautifully framed.
Looks like you had a good IHSW:)and your ORT's are very pretty in that vase.

dulcinella said...

Hi proud mom( you have every right to be)! Your new HAED's are wonderful.you have stitched a lot this weekend if I look at the before and after pictures. The framed.piece is absolutely stunning! Great finish and an excellent choice. And of course with all these lovely projects your jar looks adorable.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your stitching looks amazing =)
I love the frame of Motherhood, it fits perfectly =)
I think its wonderful of you that you accompany your friend with her first Haed =)
Congratulations to your son!

Ewa said...

Your needle has been flying! Congrats to your son, that's wonderful news! How do you like tent stitch? I've been curious to try it but I'm kind of a wuss and don't want to try a big project like an HAED with something I'm unfamiliar with.

Carla said...

Firts of all congratulations to your son :)
You've accomplished a lot this weekend...well done!

Stitching Noni said...

Congrats to your son - fantastic news for him ;0)
Wow, loving that purple on Moonlight! Great new starts. Motherhood is brilliant - the framing really shows off the design. Well done!

Linda said...

Great progress on your HAED's Leslie. Your framed piece is gorgeous and congrats to your son.

Linda

Veronica said...

Ooh great progress on your WiPs. I gotta say, your framer really outdid themselves. Motherhood is stunning! I love the mats and frame.

Congrats to your son for earning his blue belt.

Hugs,
Veronica.

Delphyne said...

Motherhood turned out beautiful!

I'd love to hear how you like tent stitching. I'm working on my first HAED, and I keep getting this overwhelming feeling to start over with tent stitches.

Congratulations to your son! My son is in Taekwondo, and I know what a commitment that is. A blue belt! Great job kid!! I know you are a proud momma.

Unknown said...

Your son is awesome. That is a very big deal, and I think it is amazing. It is a sport that requires great discipline.

Love your 28ct tent stitch. I really have to spend some time on it. Your Motherhood is BEAUTIFUL..

Thanks for sharing...

Meari said...

You made quite a bit of progress. I really like the colors.

Your framed piece is gorgeous. I can see why you're thrilled. :)

I see all the pretty colors from your WIP in your Ort jars. Wow, your needles were smokin!

Congrats to your DS for passing.

Bea said...

That is great progress on both the HAEDs. They look great. And congratulations to your son - that is quite an accomplishment.

megan_bright said...

I love your progress on Moonlight Immersion!! The colors are so soothing and pretty :D

Melissa said...

The framing turned out wonderful!

Great progress on both your other projects. I love the purples in Moonlight Immersion :)